Powered by Blogger.

A matter of the heart

>> Friday, July 27, 2012

I have a heart condition.

I love the Lord with all my heart. I seek the Lord with all my heart. I trust the Lord with all my heart. I have hidden and treasured God’s word in my heart. I invited Jesus to take up residence in my heart. (Deuteronomy 4:29, 6:5, Proverbs 3:5, Psalm 119:11, Romans 10:8-10)

When my life is in tune with these conditions, the peace which surpasses all understanding keeps my heart beating at a steady pace. However, when I love myself more than the Lord, when I seek my own way and trust my own rationale, anxiety rises within me.


When the treasure of my heart is set on what is good, my life bears good fruit—the fruit of the Holy Spirit. But when the treasure of my heart is evil, bad spoiled fruit spews from my life and mouth. (Luke 6:45, Luke 12:34, and Galatians 5:16-25)

Daily heart check ups by the Great Physician are required to keep my heart beating for Him.
- “Examine me, O Lord, and try me; Test my mind and my heart.” Psalm 26:2 NASB
- “Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I’m about; See for yourself whether I’ve done anything wrong—then guide me on the road to eternal life.” Psalm 139:23-24 MSG
- “You know me, O LORD; You see me; And You examine my heart’s attitude toward You…” Jeremiah 12:3 NASB
Without daily inspections, evil slithers into my heart. Selfishness rears its ugly head. If a lack of regular heart scrutiny goes on too long, my tongue slashes at those around me. Praise God, I have not ever let it reach an out-of-control point to commit societal crime.

Prayer: Father, I have buried the treasure of your word in my heart so that I will not sin against you. Still, I need you to daily examine my thoughts and attitudes. Create in me a clean heart. Renew a steadfast spirit within me. Lead me on your everlasting path of life.

Have you had your heart checked lately? I encourage you to make an appointment today.
__________________________________________________________

Merrie Hansen and her husband of 38 years have called Texas, Alaska, Missouri and Kansas home, but currently live where it all began in southeast Nebraska. It is from those moves and her experience as a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, friend…singer, backpacker, roller skater, home-school mom, volunteer...which she writes devotionals that challenge, encourage and inspire others on their journey to Live-Out-Loud-for-Jesus. Some of her work can be found in “The Secret Place,” “Just Between You & Me,” and CrossRiver’s upcoming devotional compilation book, “The Benefit Package.” Merrie can always be found at www.MerrieHansen.com or facebook.com/MerrieHansen.

1 comments:

Unknown July 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM  

Love your blog. Goes with thoughts the Lord has given me lately. Having a heart after God. Thanks for sharing your heart!

Post a Comment

sign up for news from CrossRiver

Friends of CrossRiver

© 2012 CrossRiver Media Group, Colby, Kansas, 307.742.3035







  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP