Powered by Blogger.

God Speaks on Bumper Stickers

>> Monday, August 6, 2012

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you and deliver you from captivity." -Jeremiah 29:12-13

Driving and I don't always get along. I admit that I should pay better attention to my motoring skills. From the scrape on the passenger door of my mini-van to the cracked bumper, I have participated in enough fender-benders to keep my insurance agent in business.
   Would it be okay to blame the inattentive driving on my three kids? Not every mom has to lip read her children in the rearview mirror to understand what they are saying. But I do because I'm hard of hearing.    When it comes to sitting behind the wheel, my eyes are my ears.

   During some mini-van excursions, my eyes focus on the cars ahead of me instead of the kids sitting behind me. Like magnets, bumper stickers catch my attention:

HOW AM I DRIVING? CALL 1-800-BAD-BOSS TO REPORT ME.

STAY 300 FEET BACK (NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR FLYING ROCKS).

PRAY!!!

   The last bumper message is something I should have been doing all along, instead of memorizing all the car stickers or talking to my kids through a mirror. Maybe if I prayed (with my eyes open, of course), I wouldn't have backed the car up and side-swiped the passenger door against my mailbox. Or I would have sensed God's voice telling me to stop instead of rear-ending a dumpster. Maybe my van would still be in its pristine, straight-off-the-car-lot quality, instead of reeling with wounds.
   But that visual reminder to pray did cause me to think about how attentive I am to God. When my life seems more at peace, it is because my eyes are on him. When my eyes sway off his path, I am left feeling anxious. If my driving skills are a metaphor for my spiritual life, then I am in big trouble!
   The next time I am tempted to take my eyes off God's plan for my life, I need to remember that simple, yet powerful, statement once spotted on the back of another beat-up car. When I pray, my attention focuses on the One who keeps me (and my kids) safe behind the wheel and in this life.
   Here is a new bumper sticker I'd love to create:

IGNORE THE DENTS. GOD'S STILL WORKING ON ME.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shanna Groves is a recovering worrywart and insomniac. When she isn’t counting sheep or the calories in chocolate, she chases after three adorable kids while blogging about her life as a hard-of-hearing mom at LipreadingMom.com. Shanna is the author of Lip Reader and the soon-to-be-published Confessions of a Lip Reading Mom through CrossRiver Media. Visit www.ShannaGroves.com for information about her books and speaking.

4 comments:

Judith Robl August 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM  

He's still working on me, too. Love your bumper sticker. Let me know when it's available.

Unknown August 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM  

Enjoyed reading your blog. Even though I do not have to contend with hearing loss, I think my mind is so full sometimes, I don't hear what's going on immediately around me as I focus on everything happening in front of me...tunnel vision.

Shanna Groves August 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM  

Judith - Thank you for commenting. I'm glad to know God uses these subtle reminders to speak to both of us in profound ways.

Blessings to you, and safe driving. :)

Shanna

Shanna Groves August 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM  

Sharon - Thank you! Let's keep reminding ourselves that God holds the steering wheel for us when we surrender our lives to him.

Blessings to you,
Shanna

Post a Comment

sign up for news from CrossRiver

Friends of CrossRiver

© 2012 CrossRiver Media Group, Colby, Kansas, 307.742.3035







  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP